Well-formatted content helps people of all reading levels, including highly educated professionals. In fact, content that’s written for professionals needs to be even more readable because of the intricate nature of the information they consume.
Well-established web formatting techniques attract attention to the most important elements of your text and significantly improve its readability. They help people scan pages quickly and access areas relevant to them. The most common and effective web-formatting conventions are:
- Include informative headlines and subheadlines
- Use bulleted lists and tables to simplify complex content
- Apply white space and indentation
- Highlight keywords and phrases
- Write in the inverted pyramid style
- For longer articles, feature an explicit overview or summary